Dr. Dowie came to Chicago in 1893 after spending three years on the west coast going from San Diego California up to British Columbia Canada.
He realize the importance of Chicago being a commercial and transportation hub for the U.S.
His first Tabernacle was built by the Chicago Branch of the International Devine Healing Association for the World's Fair Mission opend it doors on May 7th 1893. It was located outside the Chicago’s World Columbia Exposition at 251 E 62nd street near Jackson Park.
The critics nicknamed this first tabernacle the “Little Wooden Hut.”
As the number of healings increased and word of them spread, he soon found the tabernacle far too small to contain the crowds that came.
Tabernacle No. 2
His next Tabernacle (No.2) was located on 6100 Stony Island ave. This building had originally been a military building.
Dr. Dowie rented it. He then reconstructed the interior to be able to seat and support the weight of the 2,000 of people that came to hear his sermons.
But soon this too became to small forcing Dr. Dowie to relocate to his final Chicago location.
ZionTabernacle No 2. interior 2nd floor.
This tabernacle was called Zion Central Tabernacle and was located at 1621-33 S Michigan ave. Dowie moved into this facility on Feb 1897. The anouncement for the new Tabernacle was published in Leaves of Healing vol 2 p 818 October 23, 1896. As of Aug 8, 2010 this is no longer standing.